Monday, October 3, 2011

Apple cr...oops...compote!

Tiny crochet apples (and pattern!) found here
Today I was supposed to be writing about this:

Crockpot Apple Crisp recipe here

But, through a series of mistakes and interruptions, it didn't happen.

I started with a big bowl full of tiny apples, delivered to my door by a friendly neighbor with an abundant apple tree.  (I really should pick the apples off the tree in my backyard.  They're quite tasty, but it is a rather tall tree...and I'm not a big fan of ladders.)

I started the Crockpot Apple Crisp recipe, got halfway through...and realized I was out of butter.  So, I took the apple mixture, covered it, put in the fridge, and planned on finishing it the next day...but went to the zoo instead.  I finally got the apples out again Sunday evening, but by then it was too late to start a crockpot recipe, so I cooked the apples in a big saucepan, and served them over waffles.

Predictably, #1 loved them, #2 nibbled, and the littles would touch the apples, but loved the waffles.

Note to parents: maybe it's just my kids, but apparently having waffles for dinner causes small children to be extremely hyper right before bedtime!  As much as the girls love breakfast for dinner, it may be a while before I do that again.

Here's the recipe for Apple Compote:

  • 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 2 teaspoons lemon juice
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 6 Granny Smith (or homegrown!) apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch wedges 
In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, lemon juice, cornstarch, ginger and cinnamon. Stir in apples; toss to coat.  Put in the refrigerator up to 2 days.
Pour apple mixture in a large saucepan.  Add about 1/2 cup of apple juice (enough to cover the bottom of the pan).  Sprinkle a generous amount of pumpkin pie spice over top, and stir in 1/2 cup of brown sugar.
Cover, simmer for 10 or so minutes, until the apples are soft and most of the juice is evaporated.
Serve warm over waffles or pancakes.


No comments:

Post a Comment