Thursday, September 22, 2011

Family Classics: Golden Oats

Crochet cereal (and pattern!)found here
Oatmeal, it's for breakfast, right?  Most days, yes. If you are like me, you have a secret love affair with the Maple and Brown Sugar flavor instant oatmeal...but maybe that's just me.

Also in my standard pantry stock:  a great big canister of whole oats.  I usually get them out for cookie recipes, but tonight they were the star in one of my all time favorite recipes from my childhood:

Golden Oats and Herbs

I liked them so much, for years they were my requested birthday meal.  I forget how easy they are to make, until I pull out the recipe again.  (By the way, quick shout out to my Mom, without whom none of these recipes would be here to share...especially since I had to ask her for them about 20 times each before I finally found a recipe filing system that I could find things in.  Thanks Mom!)

Here is the recipe:

1 1/2 cups Quaker Oats
1 egg, beaten
3 tbsp margarine or butter, melted
3/4 cup vegetable broth (or, if you are not a vegetarian who always has a bunch of veg broth on hand, chicken broth will do just fine)
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp basil
2 tbsp parsley flakes

Combine oats and egg in medium bowl, mix until coated.  Add oat mixture to butter in large skillet.  Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 3 to 5 minutes, or until oats are dry, separated and lightly browned. Add remaining ingredients, continue cooking, stirring occasionally, 2 to 3 minutes, or until liquid evaporates.

When I was a kid, Mom always served the oats with a bratwurst-type sausage, cooked in a sweet/mustardy sauce (that I should get the recipe for!), but, having no sausage (and no clue how to cook it even if I did) I served the oats with chicken nuggets. 

The verdict:

Four thumbs, way, way up!  And,#3, being contrary, refused to try them.  Oh well, maybe next time!

1 comment:

  1. The sausage was smoked sausage or Kielbasa; I halved it crosswise, and then lengthwise. I pan fried it and basted it with a mixture of mustard and brown sugar.

    ReplyDelete