Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Family Classics Week: Frito Casserole

Crochet corn toy found here``
When you were a kid, did you have certain meals that when Mom said, "We're having ____ for dinner!" you came running?

We certainly did! 

I've decided to try some of those classics on my kids, we'll see if they become new favorites too!

One of our family's all time favorite meals is a unique combination called "Frito Casserole"...actually I have no idea how unique it is!  My grandparents made it, my mom and her sisters all made it, and I know that several of my cousins still make it for their kids, but I have no idea where it got started. 


There are several versions of the Frito Casserole recipe, even within our family.  Here's the one I use:

Frito Casserole (Clarke style!)

1 onion, chopped (I like Walla Walla sweets)
1 green pepper, chopped

Saute onion and green pepper in a small amount of canola or olive oil

Add:
1 clove garlic, crushed, or garlic powder
2 tsp dried parsley
1 tbsp chili powder (note: do not accidentally use super-extra-hot habenero chili powder...like my husband did the last time...yeouch!)
3 or 4 cans of pinto beans
2 cups water (or more if needed)
1 cup shredded cheese
1 can drained whole olives

Simmer for 30 mins.  Serve in a bowl over Fritos.
(Optional: To make with meat, brown 1/2 pound ground beef with onions and green pepper, drain well.)

That's it!  It makes a big pot of soupy casserole, and it is soooo good.  I can personally put away at least two big bowls...and eat leftovers for days.  Maybe it's nostalgia, but I love Frito Casserole.  The kids...well, they'll get used to it!  The older two already love it, and we're working on the littles.

The official tally:

Three thumbs up, two thumbs down.

(I lost my thumb graphic in the Great Laptop Crash of 2011, I should be able to replace it soon!)

1 comment:

  1. Good thing I am going to visit Gavin this weekend; I know I'll get to make it at least twice while I am there!

    ReplyDelete