Friday, February 17, 2012

2 dozen donuts, 2 days. part 2

Plate of donuts (and link to pattern) found here
I think the sheer impossibility of baking 2 dozen donuts into something resembling healthy has broken my poor little baking brain.

That is the only explanation for what I made today.

By the way, if you are wondering about the 2 day deadline, my in-laws are coming to stay with the kids tomorrow, so my dear husband and I can get away for a much deserved break.  I felt obligated to remove the ginormous pile of stale donuts BEFORE they came to judge stay at my house.

So, here is today's (potentially inedible) donut killing invention:

Pumpkin-Sweet Potato-Donut Bread

(Again, I have a need for over-explainyness:  I figured this could potentially be gross.  So, instead of the 3 perfectly good bananas the recipe called for, I used up a 1/2 cup of sweet potato puree, and the last cup of a can of pumpkin that I had already opened.)

2 cups whole wheat flour (because by gosh, I am not adding any more refined flour to donuts!)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder

3 ripe bananas, or 1 and 1/2 cups of whatever fruit/sweet vegetable you have lying around
2 eggs
1/4 cup brown sugar (I reduced this from the 1/2 cup called for in the original recipe.  Fatal mistake?  Possibly.)
1/2 cup plus 1/4 cup milk, separated
2 tsp vanilla
3 chocolate covered donuts (now you see why I reduced the sugar!)

Heat oven to 350 degrees.
Grease a bread pan.  (I used non-stick cooking spray...immediately after I decided I should have used shortening...we'll see how it comes out...literally!)

Mix flour, salt, baking powder and soda together in one bowl.
In a second bowl, mix fruit/veg, eggs, brown sugar, vanilla and 1/2 cup of the milk.
Set both aside.

Cut up the donuts. (I used two chocolate covered old fashioned, and one chocolate covered chocolate cake, because, say it with me: that's what I had!  I did resist the urge to also use the one with chocolate and sprinkles.)  I sliced them into 1/4 inch segments, decided those were too big, and cut them in half again.



Mix wet and dry ingredients together.  Dump donut pieces on top.  (When I got to this point, I realized that was a whole lot of dry, stale donut bread on top of a bready mix...which is where the rest of the milk comes in...) Pour 1/4 milk over donut pieces, then fold into dough.

Pour lumpy mixture into bread pan.

Bake for 60 minutes.

Pray.

As I'm typing, the "bread" is in the oven...so you'll have to wait for the results!

Update:  Color me shocked.  THEY LOVED IT!  The bread came out warm, moist and tasty, and the girls loved the chocolatey donut chunks!  It even came out of the pan easily.  I absolutely cannot believe this worked.

The result:


No comments:

Post a Comment