Monday, August 8, 2011

Can't blame me for this one

Little knit cow found here
You may have realized, my husband didn't marry me for my cooking.  In fact, for years the deal has been that I take care of the kids, and he cooks.  So, it shouldn't surprise you that prior to this blog, I didn't make dinner very often!

Tonight's dinner is brought to you by my husband, thanks to a good friend of his who had a stroganoff recipe to share.

Since the first ingredient is beef, I sat this one out.  (Ok, I toasted the bread, made the salad, and wrangled the monkeys to the table...but I didn't cook the main course!)


Unlike many of my attempts at cooking, this recipe not only included real meat, it also called for things like sauteing, marinating, and all real ingredients.

Here is the recipe:

Scott's Super Stroganoff

Ingredients:

2 pounds beef chuck roast
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
4 oz butter
4 green onions, sliced (white parts only)
4 tbsp flour
1 (10.5 oz) can condensed beef broth
1 tsp mustard
1 (6 oz) can sliced mushrooms, drained
1/3 cup sour cream
1/3 cup white wine
salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste

Directions:

1. Remove any fat and gristle (may I just say: ewwwwww!) from the roast and cut into strips 1/2 inch thick by 2 inches long.
2. Season with 1/2 tsp of both salt and pepper
3. In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter and brown the beef strips quickly, then push the beef strips off to one side.
4. Add the onions and cook slowly for 3 to 5 minutes, then push to the side with the beef strips.
5. Stir the flour into the juices on the empty side of the pan.
6. Pour in beef broth and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.  Lower the heat and stir in mustard.  Cover and simmer for 1 hour or until the meat is tender.
7. Five minutes before serving, stir in the mushrooms, sour cream, and white wine.
8. Heat briefly then salt and pepper to taste.
9. Serve over pasta of your choice.

My husband was over the moon about the results, he loved this recipe...or maybe he just loved the chance to eat real meat.  Other comments:
#1 said, "It's good, but a bit peppery."
#2 said, "This is so weird."
#3 refused to try any of it, and #4 only licked a noodle...but ate 3 helpings of salad!

Official tally:



No comments:

Post a Comment