Monday, August 1, 2011

Can't compete with the day-old rack

Happy knit banana (and pattern!) found here
I was so on top of things this morning.  I got up, got the littles in front of Sesame Street with their chocolate milk, (don't judge, it's Carnation Instant Breakfast, chocolate-flavored vitamins) and made muffins for breakfast.  Unfortunately, the muffins took about 15 mins too long to make...my husband short-stopped me with a package of vanilla-frosted scones from the QFC day-old bakery rack.  (To be fair, he had no idea I was baking breakfast, and as I've mentioned, it's rare because I'm usually just not that organized in the morning!)

So, while I sampled the muffins, and think they're quite good, all of the other ratings will have to wait until snack time.

I found the recipe on a box of Raley's bran flakes.  In case you don't have a Raley's near you (I don't, I bought them in Nevada!), and/or you already have bran flakes, here is the recipe:

Raley's Banana Bran Muffins

1 1/2 cups Raley's Bran Flakes cereal
1 cup mashed ripe bananas
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
3 tbsp vegetable oil
1 cup flour (I used Trader Joe's white whole wheat, tastes and bakes like regular all-purpose, but with the added health benefits of whole wheat flour)
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg (I really should get an 1/8th tsp measuring spoon...I always have to guesstimate half of 1/4th tsp...which probably isn't critical when you're measuring nutmeg!)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Grease (or spray) 12 muffin cups.
Combine cereal, banana, milk, egg and oil in bowl, mix well.  Let stand 5 minutes; stir to break up cereal.
In a separate bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and nutmeg.
Add cereal mixture all at once to flour mixture, stirring just until moistened.
Divide evenly among prepared muffin cups.
Bake 20 to 25 mins.
Serve warm.


My favorite part of these muffins?  Other than "serve warm", because they are very tasty that way...is the nutritional info.  In each muffin: 123 calories, 2.5g protein, and 150 mg of potassium.  Not a bad way to start MY day!  I'll update with ratings from the rest of the family later...assuming my husband doesn't hit the day-old rack again today...

Edited to add:

I only ever got the littles to try the muffins!  They did like them, in fact they each ate two.  So, here's the official score:

1 comment:

  1. Just finished making these muffins. The aroma in the house is amazing. The batter was great to work with! These may be small in calories but BIG on flavor. I added cinnamon to the batter as well! Great that I can add such a delicious muffin to my low calorie diet. Tastes like cheating! Thanks for this recipe! Cheers....Elizabeth ;-)






    ReplyDelete