Sunday, July 24, 2011

Home again, home again...

Happy bacon found here
...jiggety jig!

It really is nice to be home again.  

However, my absence has not changed my children's opinion of my cooking.  They still like pancakes, bacon, and hate spinach.

My husband was nice enough to make the pancakes and bacon for their breakfast, which they loved.

I should mention...I'm a vegetarian.  I still serve meat to my kids, but I don't generally cook it.  Sure, I'll bake chicken nuggets, but I draw the line at frying bacon.  Which of course makes my husband much more popular at breakfast time.

For dinner tonight, I thought I'd try a twist on something that had worked before, by making spinach-bacon pinwheels.  I included the bacon for two reasons: 1. There were two pieces left over from breakfast.  2. If I made the pinwheels with bacon, I wouldn't eat all of them!

Here is my recipe:

Spinach-Bacon Pinwheels

1 tube crescent rolls 
1 pkg frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
4 oz cream cheese
1/4 cup cottage cheese
1 shake of garlic powder
2 shakes of italian seasoning
2 pieces cooked bacon, cut into small pieces

Heat oven to 400 degrees. 
Mix cream cheese, cottage cheese, garlic and itailian seasoning.
Spray cooking sheet with cooking spray.
Roll crescent rolls out onto a cooking sheet, pressing seams together.  (Or cheat like I did, and buy the seamless dough roll!)
Spread cheese mixture on dough.
Spread spinach over cheese mixture.  (Alternatively, mix the spinach with cheese mixture, and spread together...I think this would have helped the end result go over better, since the spinach wouldn't have been quite so obvious, or so easy to pick out!)
Sprinkle bacon over spinach.

Roll into a tube.
Cut into 8 slices.



Bake 14-16 minutes.

Finished product:



The verdict was mixed!  #2 (of course!) was the one picking out and avoiding the spinach.  The littles sorta ate theirs.  My husband was the one that really liked them, probably because I included the bacon!  

The official tally:





No comments:

Post a Comment