Tuesday, July 19, 2011

A Week without Kids: Day Three

Knit bean (and pattern!) found here
So, it turns out that I'm not the only one who sets aside recipes thinking, "Maybe some time when I'm not cooking for the kids..."

My sister requested that while here, my mom make Spiced Beans in Coconut Milk, one of my sister's favorites, but one that she could not talk her kids into eating. So, while Mom and I are here, and her kids are away on a camping trip with their dad, we get to have Spicy Beans! (Perhaps it is a good thing that we are all sleeping alone tonight.)

Here is the recipe:

Spicy Beans in Coconut Milk

2 cans kidney beans, drained & rinsed (or use 1 kidney and 1 garbanzo)
1 onion, chopped
2-3 tomatoes, chopped, or one 15 oz can diced tomatoes
2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp - 1 tsp cayenne pepper (less if you have a sensitive palate, more if you like things SPICY!
1 can coconut milk

Sauté onions in oil, add the rest of the ingredients and simmer several minutes until very tender.
Serve over rice.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment