Thursday, July 21, 2011

A Week without Kids: Day Five

Knit pizza found here



After last nights complicated recipe, and a rather long day, mom and I decided to take a break from cooking, and just put a frozen pizza in the oven and open a bottle of wine.

Only problem with that plan? The bottle we chose to open was without a doubt the driest Pinot Grigio ever. Yech.

What to do with all that wine? My solution:use it in recipes! One of my favorite recipe search sites is AllRecipes.com. You can search by ingredients you have on hand, which is BRILIANT!

I searched for "dry white wine" and "spinach" (because I had a teensy bit left over from last nights recipe), and found a couple of recipes for spinach salad. I took the bits I liked, skipped the bits I didn't, and here is what I came up with:

Spinach Salad

Dressing:

1/2 cup white wine
1/2 cup basalmic vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp paprika
2 tsp diced onion

Toss spinach with 3/4 cup slivered almonds and one cup of cranberries and/or golden raisins. (I used a mix of both, it was what I had on hand.)

Pour dressing over salad, toss, and serve.

By the way, you may notice that the dressing only calls for 1/2 cup of wine. Since I hate waste, looks like it's spritzer time!

Of course, since there isn't any club soda in the house, and I'm not venturing out in almost 90 degree weather, I did improvise...again. So here is a bonus, second recipe, that I don't expect anyone to try, ever:

1 part white wine (even the driest stuff you have)
1 part Blueberry Pomegranete Propel Fitness Water

I just invented the Blu-Pom-Fit Spritzer, think it will catch on? (Surprisingly tasty, by the way!)

No comments:

Post a Comment